Sunday, August 22, 2010

Language, Media, & Hero Identity

My wife Joon Ling has embarked on a study on Hero Worship. As her research project member, I have designed focus-group discussion as the approach for data collection.

This morning, seven girls and six boys from her school (SMK SI) came to my kindergarten to give their views on the ideal hero characteristics. It was an interesting session and we both really enjoyed communicating with these young people. From my bare observation (yet to critically analyse), language and media are determinants in human perception – more still in the framing process of hero construction…

We shall share the research outcomes with all on 1&2 December during the MICFL2010 in UPM…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr Chang, im Silk Inn, one among the mention alumni & currently a master student in upm... :), heard a lot from my juniors bout u, yet couldn't have the chance yet to meet with u...i was the student of 07/08 batch of communication and public policy, mostly taught by Pn Rusyda, En Azul, Prof Fuziah and rest of mention lecturers....
    im currently preparing my thesis on weblogs and malaysian bloggers so been referring to ur Phd thesis and ur recent article on chedet.com which does help me lots, thanks Dr Chang.
    Hope more research frm u again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this message, Silk Inn.

    ReplyDelete